Every session includes the following:
- Informal time of welcoming, relaxing and interaction
- Karakia, welcome song, thought of the day, topic introduction and sharing
- Songs, music and movement, rhymes and books
- Craft and/or making home play resources
- Heuristic play and treasure baskets
- Discussion on the topic of the week
The Space programme is broken up into three areas of focus
Term One – Heart of Parenting
Term Two – Your Growing Baby
Term Three – Exploring Play
* Getting to know you
* Sleeping (g)
* Becoming a parent
* Understanding Me (g)
* See Me Move
* Establishing Attachment
* What do I See?
* What do I hear?
* Expressing myself (g)
* The Beauty of the brain (g)
* Reflective parenting
* Understanding thinking
* Uniquely you
* A sense of me and others
* On the move
* Nutrition (g)
* Going back to work (g)
* First Aid (g)
* Childhood Illness & Immunisation(g)
* Meaningful men (g)
* 21st Century “Super Kids”
* Money Matters (g)
* Introduction to Play
* Let’s Explore
* Let’s be creative
* Let’s Discover
* Let’s Connect
* Let’s get Adventurous
* Transition from SPACE
Focus: One and Two – The Heart of Parenting and Your Growing Baby – Term 1 and 2
Guest Speakers whose qualification and experience in a topic may share their knowledge at some sessions:
Brainwave Trust: Beauty of the brain, how your baby develops brain connections
St Johns Ambulance: First Aid, CPR, choking, burns, seizures and other topics requested by mothers.
Nutritionist Aleshia Dearlove: for both mother and baby,
Babytalk: Sign Language to help babies express themselves before language development
Anna Martin BA, MCouns: Sleep and understanding your baby and effective methods based on the attachment process.
Registered Financial Advisor Pamela Deal: Assistance on family finances, wills, planning, insurance
Father: meaningful men and how he coped when becoming a father
Returning to work: daycare, in home care and human resources personnel share their knowledge.
Baby Wearing: Help you find the front pack that best suits
From time to time groups request speakers to present i.e car seat restraints, planning for Christmas, baby massage
Continuing opportunities for heuristic play (playfulness and natural tactile experiences) throughout the session
Making resources for home play
Support and creating friendships with other new mums
Focus: Three – Exploring Play – Term 3
- Informal time of welcoming, relaxing & interaction
- Introduction to, and exploration of areas of Play such as: Songs, music & movement, rhymes and books
- Continuing opportunities for play throughout the sessions. Focussing on heuristic play using items/objects that you would find in your baby’s natural environment; e.g. wooden pegs, pots and pans and different textures and materials.
- Introduction to messy play, puzzles, water, sand, drawing, collage, painting, playdough, blocks, natural treasurers, playfulness and physical play
- We may visit the local Playcentre or have representative from Kindy and Playcentre join our last session.
Cedar Saplings runs 2 playgroup sessions each week
Monday Morning ((9-12) 0-5 years
Thursday Morning (9-12) 0-5 years
If you are returning to work, we welcome other family members or a caregiver bringing baby along.
The cost to join playgroup is $35 per term….a waiting list may apply.